Sunday, October 26, 2008

Casey Loftus: April 7, 1966 - October 26, 1994

Fourteen years ago today Casey passed away, after a two year battle with cancer. We still miss him and love him and think of him often. So, I thought I would share a few fun Casey facts:

Celebrity Look A Like

Debbie's Choice -Charlie Sheen, Cassidy's Choice- Tom Cruise, Brian's Choice- Chris Noth

  1. Favorite Baseball Team - Atlanta Braves; Casey loved the Atlanta Braves. He loved the Braves pre-1990. When he had his Bone Marrow Transplant the University Hospital did not have cable TV. I had to tape all the Braves games, so he could still watch them.
  2. Favorite Football Team - Atlanta Falcons
  3. Favorite Basketball Team - Utah Jazz
  4. Favorite Baseball Player - David Justice
  5. Favorite Football Player - Primetime Deion Sanders
  6. Favorite Basketball Player - John Stockton; Isn't he every short white man's favorite?
  7. Favorite Movie - The last one he saw; just about every movie he saw would be his new favorite, until he saw another movie. Yes, Cassidy, you get this from your Dad.
  8. Favorite Holiday - Halloween
  9. Favorite College Class - Bowling; Casey wanted to go on the Pro Bowlers Tour and really believed this would be an acceptable career choice.
  10. Casey broke his leg twice, both times playing soccer. Casey hated soccer.
  11. Casey loved hotdogs. I believe hotdogs cause cancer.
  12. Casey had perfect "Flat Top" hair
  13. Casey frequently dyed his hair blackish purple. Both his children have followed in his footsteps on this one.
  14. The only foods Casey wouldn't eat were beets and pumpkin
  15. Once Cassidy was attacked by a killer chicken. Casey was mad, he stormed over to the chicken coop, grabbed the chicken, and with a kick that would have impressed Louie Sakoda, punted the chicken about 60 yards.
  16. All Casey needed was a quarter and he could stay entertained for hours at the Fun-Of-It.
  17. Casey's Dream Job - ESPN Sportscaster
  18. Casey was a fighter. Really, he used to fight; like beat people up fighting, like "Oh, those scars on my hands, they're from peoples teeth" fighting.
  19. Once Casey and his good friend Adam went to see the movie Philadelphia (Tom Hanks has Aids, gets fired from his job.) Before the movie started, they were looking around at the crowd, their conversation went something like this: "Do you think those two guys are gay?" "I bet those two over there are gay." "Wait a second, do you think they think we're gay?" They proceeded to promptly scoot over, leaving an empty seat between them.
  20. Casey and I had moved into a new home in Orem. Casey, being his friendly self, walked over to meet our new neighbors. He introduces his self and the lady responds, "I know who you are. When we were in sixth grade, you and your friends would throw eggs at me as I walked home from school." The only response he could come up with was, "I've changed a lot since sixth grade.

Remembering Casey always makes me smile. He loved his family and friends. He touched many lives during his short time on earth. But I know he is still close by.

6 comments:

Jamielyn said...

Cass told me you started a blog...yahoo! I love to add blogging buddies! Thanks for that blog...I miss him all the time! One of my favorite things about him was his loud cackle laugh, you always new when he was laughing...and I loved it! :)

Casseron said...

Thanks mom! It's always good to learn more stuff about my dad! Cameron thinks your celebrity pics are good ones!!

Mandee said...

I loved Dave Justice when he played for the Braves... and I love the Jazz... and I hate soccer, too. Casey and I would have probably have been best friends!

I loved reading about him, and I love that you posted your memories of him.

love, love, love (have I said love enough?), Mandee

MELANIE said...

I love this post. I wish that I could have met Casey and I know that someday I will. I love when you mention things about him especially in relation to your kids. I hope that my birthday is a happy day remembering him.

Brett and Lex said...

I love this post. It's fun to hear where Cass got some of her fun quirks. He sounds like a pretty great guy and a good dad! :)

Stefanie said...

just found your blog for the 1st time and spent the last hour catching up on your life :) Gotta love this blog thing

Anyway--just had to comment on this post--it made me smile. We sure miss Casey too and have fond memories of our Orem days as neighbors. I laughed hard at the chicken story---as I guessed that they were Jon's chickens. (?)

Colton looks so much like Casey--wow! Looks like he has his fun personality too. Cassidy is such a beautiful young woman...I remember how courageous she was singing..I think it was "Where is Heaven" at Casey's funeral--don't know HOW she did that..I couldn't have done it as an adult.

Anyway-thanks for the good jog down memory lane. I can't believe it's been 14 years